PREP TIME: 15-20 MINS
COOK TIME: 2-3 HOURS
TOTAL TIME: 2.5-3 HOURS
4 lbs goat meat, chopped and cut into cubes
5 tablespoons Jamaican curry powder (I Prefer to Use Beta Pac)
1 teaspoon Jamaican allspice
2 tablespoons powdered ginger
2–3 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
5 tablespoon oil (olive oil/canola/vegetable) or you can even use Coconut Oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 sprigs of scallions, chopped
2 teaspoon minced garlic
4–6 sprigs of fresh thyme
1 Scotch Bonnet pepper, left whole
2 medium-sized potatoes, quartered
3-4 carrots cut and peeled (Optional)
- Clean goat meat with White Vinegar.
- In a large bowl, add goat meat and season meat with dry seasonings (curry powders, allspice, and salt/pepper) and let marinate for 30-45 minutes-Or You can allow to season Overnight if you so choose.
- Using any large pot with a lid, on medium-low heat, heat up oil. You Can also use Pressure Cooker or Slow Cooker, depending on how fast or slow you want your meat to cook.
- Add in seasoned meat and toss around to sear for brownness, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add in onions, scallions, garlic, thyme, scotch bonnet pepper and, stir to combine.
- Pour in enough water to cover the meat. Cover pot with lid, and let cook until tender, stopping to stir every 30 minutes, for about 2-3 hours.
- About 20 minutes before done, add in potatoes and stir together. Cover with lid and let potatoes cook through, about 15 minutes.
- Serve with Rice and Peas or White Rice
- If you are using a pressure cooker, cook for about 30 mins on high pressure and then let lid cool before release lid and then continue to boil till the meat is tender, then add potatoes and carrots and cook for additional 10-15 minutes.
2. The scotch bonnet pepper can be placed in whole or it can be cut for a greater amount of flavour and heat.
3. Be sure not to cut up your potatoes too small otherwise they’ll break up during the cooking process.