PREP TIME: 20 MINS
COOK TIME: 1 HR 5 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 25 MINS
½ Cup Dried Kidney Beans
4 Cups Long Grain White Rice
1 Can Coconut Milk
1 Teaspoon Butter
Dash of Salt
2-4 Cups of Water (Or enough to cover the rice by a ¼ - ½ Inch Above the Rice)
2-3 Sticks of Fresh thyme
4 Pimento Berries
Minced Garlic (Sparing Amount Just for Taste)
1 Green Bonnet Pepper
½ -1 Tablespoon Ground Ginger
- Dried Peas can be soaked from overnight to reduce the cooking time. Using a pressure cooker, pressure cook peas for 35 minutes or until peas is fully cooked.
- Once peas are cooked properly, add the coconut milk, butter and all the other ingredients except the rice and allow to cook for an additional 15 minutes.
- You will know the peas are properly cooked if they break easily when pressed with a fork or the fingers, overall, they should be very soft.
- After fifteen minutes the coconut milk and all the flavors of the fresh seasonings should be combined and ready to go.
- Add the 4 Cups of washed rice.
- The liquid in the pot should cover the rice to about an 1/2 inch.
- After rice goes in the pot, stir the pot only once or twice and reduce the heat to medium low.
- After 10 minutes, further reduce the heat to low so that rice can be steamed and properly cook.
- Do not stir the rice while it steams as too much stirring may cause the rice to be soft/ mushy.
- Allow rice to steam for an additional ten minutes, after a total of 20-25 minutes rice should be ready, use a fork to test the grains of the rice.
- Once rice grains are cooked, remove from heat use fork to fluff rice, set aside for 5 minutes before serving with your favorite meat dish.
When Rice and Peas is cooked properly it will be so flavourful it can be served on its own and taste good!!